Monday, March 10, 2008

Dance moves and that hand lotion

It's been a tough two weeks. Too much work and too much stress all conspired to limit my blogging to only one blog, so though that last Saturday I decided to hit town and not only celebrate their passing, but to also relieve some stress. I had almost forgotten what friends looked like and what the Kampala night life was like. I started off by attending a Rotaract dinner (I'm a Rotaractor/Rotarian-service above self). Everyone was well dressed in their evening dresses and dinner jackets. It was good. (if I said anything else, my club members would wring my neck). It was good, except for the food (I'm hard to please). The Roast goat meat was burnt, the beef was so hard that you'd struggle even with a steak knife and the roast potatoes were harder on the teeth than hard corn (deep fried corn). This supposedly brilliant meal was prepared at the luxurious (apparently) hotel opposite the Celtel Head offices. I also noticed some smell/scent (choose one). Not sure what it was at this point

I headed to garden city after the dinner. I was dying to get my groove on. I went to the venue. While there I hooked up with some pals and we started comparing notes. For all guys out there that don't yet know, this place has the best, most scantily dressed young talent available in Kampala. Most people say Uganda is a deeply conservative society. That would change with a visit to the venue on a Saturday night. Booty shorts, the skimpiest miniskirts ever made, the latest dance moves imported from Jamaica (winding). Everything you ALMOST saw in Ludacris' P-Poppin video is happens here. The funniest thing I saw was this really tall guy dancing with a girl that either had some Jamaican heritage or has spent a significant amount of time there. She was winding it down pretty good. As for the guy, I can't describe what he was doing. It wasn't dancing. It actually looked like he was gyrating around her waist. More like he wanted to get something else going. I hope for his sake he did.

One thing that seemed to come up in both places was this smell. It was so strong that I thought I was the one stinking. I was baffled. I showered before I left home but from the moment I got to the dinner venue, all I could smell was this strong odour. It seemed pleasant at first but it soon became some sort of stench. Nothing smells good for an entire night. I was so baffled that I asked a friend if i was stinking. He started laughing at me. After about a minute, he told me it was a hand lotion that all fashion crazed women are using. The latest fascination of the opposite sex. I always thought women were wary of wearing anything someone else might wear. Perhaps this is different because after he told me, I smelt it on every girl/lady that I walked past. That explained why the dinner venue smelt so feminine. What's this craze about hand lotion anyway? Our hands (male) are perfectly normal without those luxuries. If you must, does it have to be the same lotion? Imagine if all men wore the same perfume or used the same after shave. It's that bad. The hand lotion actually smells nice, but not nearly nice enough for every woman to buy the same brand. By all means buy those hand lotions (we prefer our women to have soft hands) but please don't all buy the same hand lotion. I'm sure there are others that smell equally as good.

No comments: