Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The audacity of a weekend thief

I have always thought that, in most cases, this country is so soft on petty crime. In fact, the majority of culprits are never prosecuted. They are arrested till someone can afford to pay the meagre bail. Without tougher penalties, these guys are only encouraged to go back and do the same thing. We don't even have the three-strikes law. My views on petty crime we hugely enhanced over the weekend. Saturday started off well. I met this very nice lady and all was good. We were having a great time (I think) with a couple of other people. We started off at Mateos and later went to the Venue. This is where things started to go bad. It got colder and windier and the sky had this menacing look. This lovely lady (she might read this so I have to bring out all the superlatives) placed her bag on one of the seats next to us. A few minutes later it started raining, heavily, so we dashed for the shade, less than 3 meter from where were seated. Less than 30 seconds later she noticed she didn't have her bag so we made for the seat where she had placed it. It wasn't there. First the rain conspired to slow my rhythm then some mongrel just sealed my fate. I never recovered from the double set back. Anyway we tried to look around but, thieves have now refined their methods it's was a futile process. That was the end of my night. Fast forward to Sunday-Monday.

I called her phone and some guy with a very strong local accent picked up. He told me this story about how he only picked her phone because it fell out of her bag. He yapped about how he was such a nice guy who worked for save the children and wasn't interested in stealing a phone. Apparently, he left it on so that he could be contacted by anyone that knew the owner. I actually bought his story. How naive of me. We made arrangements for him to bring it to my work place. My workplace is almost a fortress. There are so many armed guards from one of the country's elite forces. There is no way a thief would walk into that place to deliver a stolen phone. He had to be honest, the genuine article. Genuine? Yes he was, albeit a genuine thief. This scumbag came to my office, walked past 6 armed policemen and even more unarmed security guards (I haven't even counted the armed policemen out of sight), walked to the reception and handed over the sim card. Yes the sim card. This guy has got some cahoots. How dare he? A sim card? This is as bad as a thief breaking into your car and he later breaks into your house just to return the ID that was in the wallet he stole from your car. The nerve this guy had. If I could lay my hands on him I would rip him apart (if he's smaller than me.) No, what he did was not a favour. It was 'Kamanyiro'. This guy wouldn't have dared to do that if we had serious laws. He wouldn't have dared to steal that bag period. I think all petty thieves should be castrated and given a sexual hormone inhibitor. The thought of not enjoying life's finer things will be a deterrent to any ill-bred scumbag. Jail doesn't cut it anymore. They are too soft on these guys. They have more meals in there than they do outside of jail. I am boiling with anger. God have mercy on the one unlucky guy I'll catch attempting to 'get rich quick' from my personal property.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, all petty thieves are the work of the devil I tell you! In retrospect though, at least he brought the sim card back. When my bag was stolen in church, how I wished the thief would at least have dropped the ATM cards or car/house keys or maybe sim card even, at the church offices because he was never going to use them...
But like you said all petty thieves should be sorted out seriously! Sorry about the date gone wrong. Very nice blog you have here too by the way...
And now i shall put a sock in my mouth and stop.

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha ha ha. that guy pulled a move. you have to give him that!!! n hey, at least she got her numbers back.
i have a friend who's car was broken into once, the thieves sat in the car, had their coffee and snacks and then cleaned out the car and left. the irony of it is that she was working in starbuks just around the corner so she probably sold them the coffee :-)

Iwaya said...

and the wait for a new post goes on....